Friday, August 26, 2011

Slinging the Skinny Stick and Mr Fishy.


ad·dic·tion

[uh-dik-shuhn]
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

  Yes I have an addiction, Slaying Carp!  Sigh.. Okay I feel better, but not really.  I am addicted to Bowfishing Carp, I am a slave to the pursuit of Carp via a fiberglass arrow and a string.  I have the privilege of shooting at three killer spots on my way home from work and I am lucky enough to have a wife that likes her husband relaxed when he gets home.  So pair my addiction with killer spots full of fish insert add a dash of an understanding wife and you have a recipe for blood on the river banks.  

The Setup
Since I started shooting at the "Almighty Canals" I have tagged close to 35 fish over the past two months with my largest fish coming in at around 35 inches.  I know that may not seem like very many fish but, seeing how I only spend a few minutes there at a time its not to bad.  If I am not fishing it, I am checking it for water clarity. It is not all rainbows and butterflies all the time though, I do receive severe trauma (a symptom of addiction) from the Stinging Nettles that line the banks.  The crazy thing is that I am now becoming immune to their nasty bite,  I got hit a few days ago and really didn't feel anything.  Just a few brushes of the hand wiped the pain away.  

Disturbing The Peace 
 Please understand that I live in a spot that is as "country" as you are going to get for the Greater LA area.  It is mainly strawberry fields and orange groves where I live and hunt, but that does not preclude the occasional tree-hugger from calling the police on me.  Last time it was, "We have received a few calls that a threatening man was walking around with a bow and arrow by the road."  After a few laughs with the Officer and the obligatory exchange of licenses and IDs, I began to explain what I was doing and how it was legal to be shooting fish on the river.  I even gave him the local DFG warden's number if he wanted to verify what I was saying.  He just smiled and said have a nice day.  So back to slaying I went.

The Kill Shots
  
So there it is, Bowfishing in So. Cal, not the most mainstream sport out there, but it is the best I can do to hunt daily around here.  Here are a few pic of my conquests.

Oh Ya, run went well yesterday.  Pushed my Camo princess around a cucumber field for 30 minutes, followed by an ab workout and 100 arrows.  Good news is I dropped under 240!  That's right folks drop'n it like its hot.

Later all,

Bearded Boar





Hole in the Head!




Later all,

Bearded Boar

0 comments:

Post a Comment